Monday, March 19, 2012

The Sound of Music

My long last, and in a way, forbidden love of the violin seems to be finally materializing itself as it should be. Something tangible and congruent, a reality.

Back in 2007 I bought a cheap violin, according to me to be able to play it and make awesome music. Alas, the only music I was able to make with it was the sound of the case closing and the clicking of the door behind this instrument. At the time I had no formal training in anything about music whatsoever and more than anything I did not have any time. Having class Monday thru Saturday and Sundays off to do catch up work for all of them (22 credits are not that easy when one is a pre-med major).  Needless to say that I lacked the patience and expertise in basic sight reading to be able to play even an open string G.

My brother's sudden interest in the instrument made him acquire a beautiful violin and an awesome new set of skills. Exactly like the kid that starts playing with the discarded toy because the new kid started playing with it, that's exactly how the interested in this instrument flared up again.  Now my brother, as my ever so patience  teacher has allowed me to at least start to develop the skills that allow "mediocrily" play a melody. One thing I do have to say about playing a string instrument. IT FUCKING HURTS!

The tips of my fingers have been in pain for days now from pressing them against the strings. It feels as if the strings are cutting your fingers in half and it burns. The days after it feels like the tips of my fingers are asleep, numb and tingling. It's ALL worth it. I feel the awesome level of accomplishment a child gets from learning to read. All of the sudden I can make sense of a music sheet. It really has open my ears and eyes to a new world.

Besides my fingers hurting, no bitching rant. I'm pleased and very glad that I have found found my love for music that I had lost a while back.  The sound of music has found me; again.

No comments:

Post a Comment